Wednesday, August 01, 2007

resumé "interests"

Take a look at your resumé. Do you have a section for "interests?" If so, what do you have there?

If you have something like needlework, you may worry about not getting offers for jobs requiring, I don't know, movement?

What about sports? Did you list baseball? Soccer? Tennis? Listing such activities can prove to a potential employer that you are not afraid of activity. After all, if you play a sport, you can show you're a team player, may perform under pressure, and may not fold when the going gets rough.

You may also be telling them that you're a liability. People who participate in sports can get injured. Injured personnel take time off of work. Sometimes six weeks or more. An employer has an interest in hiring someone who's not likely to suddenly need a month and a half off, specially from something totally unrelated to their work responsibilities.

So next time you decide to boast about your athletic ventures on your resumé, consider that it may not be though of as a virtue by some employers.
.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lamar The Revenger said...

at one time if you played football in high school you were (especially for Manheim, my hometown) automatically hired no matter what skill level in my department. Our town is a big football town. And the players can do no wrong. When they hired me, I was constantly asked if I played football. I didn't, and tell them I'm a lover not a fighter. Then, they'd leave me alone, shaking their heads in disgust.

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:21:00 AM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

How's their turnover rate? Ha ha! Interesting take on my post. I guess those who cannot seem to get employed with sports on their resume can always get a job in Manheim!

Friday, August 03, 2007 5:56:00 AM  
Blogger M@ said...

I always hated that BS. I mean, why not have a "Likes and Dislikes" section?

Friday, August 03, 2007 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Just don't put any sports in there, Matt!

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

I've never handed in a resume with an "interests" section. And if I were hiring, I'd be unimpressed by anyone who thought that their interests interested me. I'd be more concerned with hiring someone with fewer, not more hobbies.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home