Friday, October 03, 2008

pet peeve #5

... is people who use the word 'promise' instead of the word 'swear.'

For example, "I'm telling ya, this woman was seven feet tall. I promise!"

or "Promise me you didn't sell the car without telling me!"

'Promise' always implies something that may happen in the future, not something that may have happened in the past.

'Swear' can mean to declare or avow a present or past event or statement to be factual.

The abuse of this word has had me peeved for quite some time, I promise ya.
.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Freddie said...

I use those words all the time. I think I use them correctly...

Here's one of my word peeves: When people add an "s" to the end of "toward" or "afterward". The s is unnecessary, right Mr. S?

Friday, October 03, 2008 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Wow, I never thought of that. And I say towards and afterwards often. Guess you'd be peeved if you heard me talk.

Friday, October 03, 2008 5:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home